Skip to main content

"Not all who wander are lost." - JRR Tolkien

Sometimes they're at the top of their game but sometimes they're on to mine. There's a loophole peeking around every shelf and on each spine.

Me: What are you looking for?

Clever Boy: A book.

Me: Well, I get that. What do you like to read?

Clever Boy: I'm looking for a 4 or 5 point book on a 5th grade level without too many pages.

Are you a mathematician? Because you don't sound like a literature lover. One must reach one's goals and this one is a player.

It's not exactly high brow literature but before judgement is cast consider that the addition of Captain Underpants into this library may be the first book to which a 3rd grade boy will relate while he's learning to assimilate. It may be just the spark he needs to get lit with Wimpy Kid or Clement's Frindle. A couple of smart writers have the ability to deftly absorb a self-described nonreader so he doesn't feel quite so Square Peg against rounded civility.

No one can resist Calvin and Hobbes' charm. Once placed into the hands of an 11-year-old boy, his vocabulary will increase about a jillion percent, in spite of dreaded spelling lists and busy grammar homework. The numbers prove it for those who consider that sort of thing important.

Me: You're a Reading Guy. You might like this book.

Closeted Book Loving Boy: No, I don't read that much.

Me: Are you for real? You're having your folks take you to the public library on weekends. You get books as birthday gifts. Just admit it, you're a Reading Guy.

Outed Book Loving Boy: Okay but I'd rather be known as a Sports Guy.

Me: Fair enough.

Compared to Worlds of Warcraft and Mario, reading a book is not as effortless a way to lose a Self but a more meaningful place to find One. Once Calvin and the Captain get ahold of 'em, these XBoxers won't even know what hit 'em.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just get out the way, and let the gentleman do his thing.

Retired Memphis Police Department Chief Inspector Robert Jones came to my pool party the other day. Over hot dogs and fruit salad, he regaled his grandchildren with tales of his days in Special Services on the police force. That's SWAT to you and me.

Among those anecdotes, he spins a yarn that includes a tear gas capsule hidden on the motor of a car full of pimps and ladies of the night, effectively expelling these law breakers out of a Buick Electra 225, running crazy. Later, he would be appointed Chief Inspector, along with fellow officer James Bolden (who also served MPD director), climbing his way up the career ladder with an excellent work ethic. But, before all that, he was a regular joe on the beat, paying his dues. Only, this fiery, young Irishman was going to do it his way.


They called him The Flame. Not only for his ability to run like one but, there was also that shiny red hair. In his youth, his stubborn independence got him into some trouble so he channeled that and mad…

I was so scared to face my fears.

Why You even trust us with so much, I can't even imagine. We alternate between pumping triumphant fists in the air and rocking quietly in the corner, squeezy eyes and knitty brows, vulnerable to the next thing next. In a matter of weeks, issues that include extreme trauma, mental illness, genetic disorders, and tired, old grudges, which serve to poison the waters, pass through our hands. We stand, arm in arm, carefully considering whether we are meant to dodge or take the shots:What are we supposed to be to learning?
Can we set it gently to the side and move along?
Is this our burden to bear for a season?
Who is wearing hearts on sleeves?
and should we?It's hard to say in a world of emotions but I KNOW our hearts are true. Even in their ugliest states, we keep it real. Sometimes, we're all Daigle, inspired and fortified, but, as many times as not, we're blasting Adele, accidentally alienating the ones we love and raw as can be. Let's just keep the Gungors, Eminems …

You built me palaces out of paragraphs.

You're so sure I don't hear your words. Maybe you think there's too much weary history for me to contend with New & Fun. You hear told of the time before yours and sometimes you feel alone. Maybe you've even wondered if I'm still up to the challenge.
You assume too much, Love Child, because yours are the words I've been waiting for all my life.
So many words.
My time before you taught me to talk less and hear more but I sift through ALL your words and listen for your heart.
Without your words, how could I know that you sometimes say what you don't mean just because you feel too much to articulate?
Without your words, how could I know that you are unsure and insecure about who you might become?
How could I know, were I not listening, that you often hold back because you think it's not quite your time?
Without your words, how could I know how much you root for the underdog with a righteous anger?
Without your words, how could I know that you often …