I ain't fakin'.

Recently, while making a pot of Jamie Oliver's cannelloni, tomato and bacon soup for my family, a friend called to update me on her very pregnant sister's status. Someone called in on her line so we said goodbye. I put my phone down without pushing END because my hands were all beany and whatnot and continued cooking. Unbeknownst to me, her other conversation was shortlived and she clicked back over only to enjoy my heartfelt rendition of the Muppet Show theme song, complete with muppety impersonations. "It's time to put on make up. It's time to light the lights..." Like that. Only I forget the words sometimes and get stuck in a loop, singing the same several lines repeatedly with monstery glee. This amused her no end and I've yet to hear the end. In fact, she has shared this over and over so that others might know her delight. She claims it is endearing but there's always the possibility of humiliation.

It occurs to me that although she's my bestie and all, I have never allowed her entrance through Door Number Dork, wherein dwells the essence of Me. It occurs to me that, no matter how intimate a friendship is, here's more proof that a person cannot be truly made known to another unless they reside under the same roof, wherein there is nowhere to hide from the truth.

It occurs to me that some antics are only tolerated by one's offspring only because they don't know any better.

Or they are cut from the same cloth.

Comments

  1. That IS endearing. The very endearingest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one muppet of a (wo)man to another.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment