Skip to main content

NTGOAP...Til there was You.

Your feathers appear delicately beautiful and mysterious but their might is awesomely powerful and strong. From a distance, I can’t even imagine the shelter they provide. I let the space between us overwhelm me. I choose instead to take cover in my own regret. 

Grief wants to bind me and shame is my cloak. In the shadow of my own faithless sin, I cannot even lift my eyes. Discouragement whispers and I believe his lies.

Each morning, I have a new mercy but, as it’s falling from the sky, I let it drift just out of my reach. Heaviness lies to me. “You’ll never find it. It’s too late.” Even in sleep, I am exhausted, bound and seemingly broken. That is, until I hear Your sweet song calling my name.

Lift up your head, child of God. Lift up your head. 

You call. 
It’s then I remember I love you. I remember I’m Yours. I remember that’s all that I have to remember. 

I stand. 
It’s then that I have the strength to throw off all that so easily entangles me. This is not for me. 

I reach up. It’s then that I realize, you are the shadow under which I find my rest and refuge. You are the fortress in whom I trust. As you scoop me up under your wing, You smile softly and say, I was right here all along, silly girl. 

When you pierce through the sin and the fear and the despair and the “but, this” refrains, the night is as bright as the day and it’s under the shadow of Your Almighty Grace, I find the joy that I convinced myself was lost altogether.

Silly and foolish and faithless as I am, I am Yours and that’s enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just get out the way, and let the gentleman do his thing.

Retired Memphis Police Department Chief Inspector Robert Jones came to my pool party the other day. Over hot dogs and fruit salad, he regaled his grandchildren with tales of his days in Special Services on the police force. That's SWAT to you and me.

Among those anecdotes, he spins a yarn that includes a tear gas capsule hidden on the motor of a car full of pimps and ladies of the night, effectively expelling these law breakers out of a Buick Electra 225, running crazy. Later, he would be appointed Chief Inspector, along with fellow officer James Bolden (who also served MPD director), climbing his way up the career ladder with an excellent work ethic. But, before all that, he was a regular joe on the beat, paying his dues. Only, this fiery, young Irishman was going to do it his way.


They called him The Flame. Not only for his ability to run like one but, there was also that shiny red hair. In his youth, his stubborn independence got him into some trouble so he channeled that and mad…

I was so scared to face my fears.

Why You even trust us with so much, I can't even imagine. We alternate between pumping triumphant fists in the air and rocking quietly in the corner, squeezy eyes and knitty brows, vulnerable to the next thing next. In a matter of weeks, issues that include extreme trauma, mental illness, genetic disorders, and tired, old grudges, which serve to poison the waters, pass through our hands. We stand, arm in arm, carefully considering whether we are meant to dodge or take the shots:What are we supposed to be to learning?
Can we set it gently to the side and move along?
Is this our burden to bear for a season?
Who is wearing hearts on sleeves?
and should we?It's hard to say in a world of emotions but I KNOW our hearts are true. Even in their ugliest states, we keep it real. Sometimes, we're all Daigle, inspired and fortified, but, as many times as not, we're blasting Adele, accidentally alienating the ones we love and raw as can be. Let's just keep the Gungors, Eminems …

You built me palaces out of paragraphs.

You're so sure I don't hear your words. Maybe you think there's too much weary history for me to contend with New & Fun. You hear told of the time before yours and sometimes you feel alone. Maybe you've even wondered if I'm still up to the challenge.
You assume too much, Love Child, because yours are the words I've been waiting for all my life.
So many words.
My time before you taught me to talk less and hear more but I sift through ALL your words and listen for your heart.
Without your words, how could I know that you sometimes say what you don't mean just because you feel too much to articulate?
Without your words, how could I know that you are unsure and insecure about who you might become?
How could I know, were I not listening, that you often hold back because you think it's not quite your time?
Without your words, how could I know how much you root for the underdog with a righteous anger?
Without your words, how could I know that you often …