Skip to main content

NTGOAP: Mother's Mothers' Mothers

• Let's just go ahead and admit it: Mother's Day, Mothers' Day, Mothers Day, or whatever, is just a dumb holiday.

• I mean, if you have a great mom and you know it, does one day a year truly suffice to tell her so?

• If you are a great mom or even just have the delusion of being one, is one day all you need to have it said?

• Because I'm not too proud to say that I need it said every day.

•  l lied.

• I'm way too proud.

• Not because I think I'm that fantastic of a mother but because there's a smack of insincerity when it's dictated that "today is the day so I'm obligated to say that I appreciate my mom and all the ways she pours into me from then until now".

• And forever more.

• If you're the kind of moms that deserves a day of appreciation, it likely goes against every fiber in your being to accept it.

• Because that's not exactly what you're in it for.

• Let's say you've been a great mom to someone else's kid.

• THEN, you deserve a medal.

• When it's your own kid, you can't really even help yourself.

* You are selfless and amazing because you're made that way and even when you wish you could just stop it already with the worrying and fussing over and irrational guilt over the stuff you can't change or do a dang thing about and the ruined vacations because you won't shut up about the kids and let your husband have you to himself for once and the taking-it-upon-yourself-to-worry-over-the-significant-others of your babies as if they were your own and then worry because you spent too much time worrying about one and now the others might feel left out and please don't even get me started on the new generation of worry because that's too much but I can't-seem-to-stop-this-cycle-of-fretting-and-fussing like a crazy person.

• On the other hand, what's sweeter than motherhood and what deserves more than one day a year of celebration more than motherhood.

• But, let's be honest.

• This whole thing is nuts and we are, too, moms.

• If we are being true to the truth.

• The whole thing: Pregnancy (STRESS). Birth (OUCH). Infancy (YAWN). Toddlers to Teenagers (CRAZY-MAKING). It's a WILD ride.

• So, why do we do it?

• I say to young moms: God did not give you these baby humans because he had confidence that you knew what to do with them and how to best care for them (Case in point: POTTY-TRAINING).

• You are not that good of a person.

• He gave them to you because you need some growth and stretching and He was good enough to put you on the fast track.


• Can I please be done already with the growing and the stretching and the fast tracking part?

• Of course, I can't even help myself.

• Only God can help me now.

• And, then I got some well-timed yellow roses from the babiest of sons which doesn't hurt one bit in helping me remember that I am cherished and all is not lost and maybe I haven't blown the whole thing after all.

• So, I take it ALL back.

• Bring it, Mothers, Mothers', Mother's Day.

• You win.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just get out the way, and let the gentleman do his thing.

Retired Memphis Police Department Chief Inspector Robert Jones came to my pool party the other day. Over hot dogs and fruit salad, he regaled his grandchildren with tales of his days in Special Services on the police force. That's SWAT to you and me.

Among those anecdotes, he spins a yarn that includes a tear gas capsule hidden on the motor of a car full of pimps and ladies of the night, effectively expelling these law breakers out of a Buick Electra 225, running crazy. Later, he would be appointed Chief Inspector, along with fellow officer James Bolden (who also served MPD director), climbing his way up the career ladder with an excellent work ethic. But, before all that, he was a regular joe on the beat, paying his dues. Only, this fiery, young Irishman was going to do it his way.


They called him The Flame. Not only for his ability to run like one but, there was also that shiny red hair. In his youth, his stubborn independence got him into some trouble so he channeled that and mad…

I was so scared to face my fears.

Why You even trust us with so much, I can't even imagine. We alternate between pumping triumphant fists in the air and rocking quietly in the corner, squeezy eyes and knitty brows, vulnerable to the next thing next. In a matter of weeks, issues that include extreme trauma, mental illness, genetic disorders, and tired, old grudges, which serve to poison the waters, pass through our hands. We stand, arm in arm, carefully considering whether we are meant to dodge or take the shots:What are we supposed to be to learning?
Can we set it gently to the side and move along?
Is this our burden to bear for a season?
Who is wearing hearts on sleeves?
and should we?It's hard to say in a world of emotions but I KNOW our hearts are true. Even in their ugliest states, we keep it real. Sometimes, we're all Daigle, inspired and fortified, but, as many times as not, we're blasting Adele, accidentally alienating the ones we love and raw as can be. Let's just keep the Gungors, Eminems …

You built me palaces out of paragraphs.

You're so sure I don't hear your words. Maybe you think there's too much weary history for me to contend with New & Fun. You hear told of the time before yours and sometimes you feel alone. Maybe you've even wondered if I'm still up to the challenge.
You assume too much, Love Child, because yours are the words I've been waiting for all my life.
So many words.
My time before you taught me to talk less and hear more but I sift through ALL your words and listen for your heart.
Without your words, how could I know that you sometimes say what you don't mean just because you feel too much to articulate?
Without your words, how could I know that you are unsure and insecure about who you might become?
How could I know, were I not listening, that you often hold back because you think it's not quite your time?
Without your words, how could I know how much you root for the underdog with a righteous anger?
Without your words, how could I know that you often …